Ways to Make your Melbourne Home More Secure
There are lots of simple things you can do to make your home more secure. From adding a lock to your letterbox, installing security lighting, using a safe to keep your valuables secure or even getting your locks maintained by a Master Locksmith
Here are some of our tips to make your Melbourne home more secure:
1. Residential Fences and Gates
- Have an open style front fence to increase visibility of your garden and front entrance of your Melbourne home.
- Install self-closing gates and locksets.
- Fences and gates should be well maintained to provide maximum security.
2. Residential Security Lighting
- Install security lighting around the perimeter of your home.
- Security lighting should be inspected on a regular basis to make sure they are all working.
- Additional security lighting should be installed over entry/exit points to your home.
- Use light timers to turn lights on/off when not in your home or away on holidays..
3. Residential Letterbox and Power Board
- Fit your letterbox with a lockset to restrict access to mail.
- The power board should be housed within a cabinet. By doing this you restrict tampering with the power supply.
- The Power Board also needs to be protected with a lockset authorised by your Energy company or residential locksmith
4. Residential Garage and Garden Shed
- All garages need be locked, when not in use, to restrict access and to prevent theft.
- If you have a roller, tilt, or panel lift door, you can install an additional lock set to increase security.
- All Garden sheds, especially ones with gardening equipment. need to be with a high grade lock.
- Don’t forget to install locks on windows in garages and garden sheds.
5. Residential Doors
- Consider installing a door viewer to see visitors before you open your door
- Have a Master Locksmith to check all your locks on a regular basis to make sure they are in good working order.
- Security screen doors can be used as an extra layer of security
- Consider installing patio bolts on external sliding doors.
- Check to make sure that if you have an under-house access point that it is secured
6. Residential Windows
- All windows need to be fitted with quality key-operated locksets
- Windows are locked unless they are being used.
7. Home Safes
- To keep valuables like jewellery, money and documents, install a safe.
- The safe should be fixed to the floor or wall to avoid it’s removal in the event of a burglary.
About The Lock Guy
For over 20 years The Lock Guy has been providing superior locksmith services to Melbourne and surrounding suburbs. We specialise in residential, commercial and automotive locksmith services. Along with a passion for padlocks, we also re-key locks, assist in key replacements, and install deadlocks for both homes and businesses.
YOUR KEY TO SECURITY FOR RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES IN MELBOURNE